Press enter to begin your search


Hurtwood Staff 3-2 Old Boys


Hurtwood House Staff edged out their former students on Tuesday night, as they beat the Old Boys 3-2 at the Meadowbank Stadium.

A frantic opening few minutes saw the staff take the lead with the first attack of the game - Peter Ions rounding off the move by lobbing the keeper from a tight angle. 

They say you're at your most vulnerable when you've just scored and, on the night, that proved to be true. The old boys hit back immediately after the restart, working the ball to James Walduck on the edge of the area, who unleashed a stunning strike into the top corner to level the tie. 

Both sides competed well as they tried to gain the upper hand, with key battles taking place in the middle of the park. Ian Blaze caught the eye in centre midfield for the staff, while Will Van Der Weyden looked a constant threat for the old boys. Phil Ward and Mike Timson were called into action at either end, both pulling off impressive saves to keep the match all square. 

As the game approached half time, Lee Johnson latched onto an ambitious cross field pass from Jake Pratt to restore the staff's advantage, stretching to divert the ball goalward after getting between the two centre backs. 

There was still time for history to almost repeat itself though, as the old boys hit back immediately - only for their celebrations to be cut short by an offside decision.

The staff found themselves on the back foot after the break, with the old boys pushing for an equaliser. Spurned chances and some good defending kept the score at 2-1 for much of the half, before the staff took advantage on the counter attack 15 minutes from time. Lee Johnson's deft flick found Ted Jackson through on goal who coolly slotted home to all but secure the victory. 

The old boys still came on strong and, with 8 minutes to go, were awarded a slightly contentious penalty - which was tucked away by Will Van Der Weyden to half the deficit and restore belief. But despite a string of late corners and some good pressure from the trailing side, the staff held on for the win.


Man of the Match: Ian Blaze